Sunday, March 2, 2014

Getting lost in a good book... Monday's Meme!

A new Monday has come and gone, and a new Meme has been set up by Berry... This one seems that it will definitely be giving a few insights into the bloggers that take part, and I totally agree with Berry that the things you read can often be a good indicator of some of your personality traits.
I also know just how Berry feels in regards to curling up with a good book... I do exactly the same when I am in need of cheering up and solitude all at once... It really is a simple way to let your mind drift into another world, and if I am being honest with myself, I do find it much more relaxing than social interactions of another world like SL.
So let's get on with Berry's questions for this week, shall we? Looking through the questions has helped remind me of books that I have forgotten... Must see if I can find them after this...
Are you a bookworm? – I used to think that I was, but I find myself reading a lot less than I'd like to these days. I sit everyday to read blogs and news online, I read magazines and even archaeological journals too, but I find myself less and less with a book in my hand... I should change that!
Which do you prefer: hardcover, paperback or electronic? – Oh my god give me a real book any day... Hard cover or paperback I don't care, but for me there is nothing better than curling up with a proper book... I don't know why and this might sound SO WEIRD, but I love the smell, and the feel of turning the pages as much as the actual reading!
Which book is your favorite? – Hard one to answer that really, I couldn't say just one! I LOVE anything by Tolkein. Sounds cliche like one of those things that people just drip off their tongue since the movies have come out, but I have read them many, many times since the time my mum read it to me as a bedtime story when I was kid. Another book like this has to be Gormenghast by Mervyn Peake... My copy of that is so well read that it looks like it would fall apart in a gust of wind hehe...
Which children’s book is your favorite? – Ooooh tough one... I think when I was little I was really into the stories from Bramley Hedge by Jill Barklem. I loved the stories about a village of little mice that lived in the countryside... The pictures that accompanied the stories - like this one from The Spring Story - were always so enthralling that as a child I would sit and look at them for hours... Then as a young teenager I discovered a book series by Louise Rennison, about a character called Georgia Nicholson... The first is called "Angus, Thongs and Full Frontal Snogging" and it struck a chord with me as a young teenage girl that matched the main character in age LOL...
What’s the last book you’ve read?Erotic Lives of Superheroes by Marco Mancassola... Not all kinky as the name might suggest - although there is some sex in it - this is more about the Superheros as they age and how they change... It was interesting!
Name your top five favorite writers: – Top 5 dammit that's bloody hard Berry LOL... I guess in no particular order I will say... Tolkein (Fantasy), Gregory Maguire (Fantasy), Freya North (Chick Lit), Terry Deary (Children's History Books), and ummmmmmmmm I cant think of a last one... I love all kinds of different authors, I dont have a specific one that I have to read everything by.
Favorite & least favorite book genres? – Berry I haven't read Harry Potter either, you're not alone hehe... I think though and people might laugh but I will admit I read a fair amount of chick lit usually because it is so easy and fluffy and something I can dip in and out of. I LOVE Fantasy too... I never read Sci-Fi though, I have a bit of a phobia about aliens as I have mentioned before and that could be too much for me as my imagination tends to be fairly vivid...
Favorite & least favorite book-to-movie adaptions? – I think that my favourite has to be the BBC adaptation of Gormenghast... It is a few years old now, but it was simply stunning. The costumes, sets, and characters were brought to life in a way that both mirrored the story AND allowed the director to get a little creative along the way. I'm not sure about a least favourite... At the moment one doesn't come to mind...
Have you ever bought a book based on the cover alone? – Yes... It's a bad habit that has sometimes made me realise I shouldn't do it but I carry on doing so all the time LOL...
Where do you usually buy your books? – One of my favourite places to go shopping in my RL is the second hand stores. I love exploring them and finding treasures and bargains, but the book section is always the biggest lure of them all... One of the main reasons being that English books are so expensive for someone living in Holland. Also, on that score, we have a store here in Amsterdam called the "American Book Centre" and once every 6 months or so they have a Books By Weight Sale... You can buy a kilo of books for 5 euros (roughly 7 euros). The last few times I've bought 4 or 5 kilos and have saved myself hundreds of euros...
Do you go to the library? – I used to, but I don't so much anymore!
How many books do you own? – I own a lot... I seem to stock pile a collection of books that I find at second hand stores so I have a collection I can choose from when it is time for a new book. I have a smaller collection of about 30 or 40 books I keep, and the rest I like to donate. Sharing the stories I enjoyed is always a good thing I think.
If you were to write a book about Second Life, which topic would you focus on? One of my family in the past was talking about writing a fantasy novel around our SL family - that have since dispersed - but I still believe this would make an epic fantasy story. I mean we were lycan, dragon, fae, feline and a few other things in between... True fantasy writers couldn't think up better plots than some of the hijinks we got into!!

What is she wearing;
Hair: Exile - Rain or Shin in Rain (Available now at The Arcade
Skin: Glam Affair - Candy Skin in America 09 (Past Arcade Item) 
Face Wounds: (Right Eye) Corvus - Scarred Face Tattoo, (Left Cheek) Corvus - Cheek Scars, AND (Right Cheek) Little Pricks - Stapled Face Tattoo 
Dress: Mag<3.B. - Care Sweater in Wish 
Pose & Book: Sparrowtree Studios Poses - Dear Diary Pose Set
Lap Book: RC Cluster - Emo CryCry Diary 
Dinosaur: RACHEL BREAKER - Rockin TREX 

1 comment:

  1. So glad I am not the only one that hasn't read Harry Potter, lol!

    ReplyDelete